1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the best guard dog to get to protect my chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bluemooneggs, Apr 27, 2012.

1. bluemooneggs

bluemooneggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Today a fox came by and killed two of my free ranging hens, all that we found was a pile of feathers, the chicken were carried off. Later we saw two foxes running around, it is a male and female fox they have a den in the neighborhood. We really need a guard dog, what is the best kind to get? Or any other suggestions to keep the foxes away. My husband has fox hounds but i dont know how they would be with the chickens.

2. dacasodivine

dacasodivine Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2008
    Great Pyrenees.

3. bluemooneggs

Apr 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Anyone selling great pyrenees or any other guard dog for chickens in the VA area?

4. calamityfarm

calamityfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    Connecticut
    Please understand that a GP that is guarding needs a lot of land to roam. They need to be left outside 24/7. You can not make a pet out of them or they will guard you, not your animals. A guard dog is wonderful, but a huge commitment to the dog must be made. This is not for casual protection.

5. bluemooneggs

Apr 21, 2012
    Virginia
    We are surrounded my a huge farm about 200 acres. We are not looking for a pet. We are looking for protection for our chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by