what is the best hatchery for red sex-links?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Taylor, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    I'm out for red star chickens, and know each hatchery has their own "strain", what is the best one

2. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    The only ones I have are from Ideal.They have Gold Sex Links,Red Sex Links and Brown Sex Links, each a different cross.I have only the Gold Sex Links which are a RIR crossed with a RIW and they are very friendly and lay very well.One even layed at 16 weeks old.I'm sure the red and brown's are great also but I have never had any of those.

3. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I second the vote for Ideal's Gold-Sex Links [​IMG] Both of my girls were the first to lay out of my flock and one of them is the friendliest out of my flock. Of course, this is my first flock so I don't have much reference [​IMG]

4. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Just to add I really like and actually have more of the Black Sex Links.They are excellent layers as well.

5. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    Ideal or Cackle.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I am not sure how many you may want but check out Central hatchery. The prices are great.
    But I am with the other poster, I like my black sex links eggs better than my red sex links. The blacks have bigger, darker eggs and lay more often. However, the personality on my reds is tons better than my blacks.
    Mine all came from different hatcheries like Meyer, Welp and Ideal. I just run all of them together in a free range flock.

7. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Mine are from Ideal.They have the three different crosses of Red Sex Links.Also my BSL's are much larger and fatter hens than the GSL's but as it has already been said my GSL's are much more friendly.I even had a BSL to go broody this year and at the same time I had a silkie sitting on some of her own egg's and the first one that hatched she shunned it and wouldn't take care of it.I decided to take a chance and give the chick to my BSL and she took it and raised it.How's that for going against the grain. [​IMG]

8. kman

kman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    another vote for the IDEALS gold, i love them, first to lay and the friendliest chickens i have( i never picked them up or hand fead them when they were chicks just naturally friendly) words do not say enough for the gold sex linked i have, and just think i was totally against getting any sex links

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  9. phoenixmama

phoenixmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    I'm going to say Privett. I'm getting more RSL from them...Lucy started laying at 17 weeks, and her eggs have been huge right from the start. She is also a fantastic forager! In the summertime, we'll go out at night to switch on the flood lights. The cockroaches are everywhere...and she's always the first one out there going to town. She's easy to catch, and always hops up on the ledge outside my kitchen window to say hello while I'm doing dishes.

She's great. [​IMG]

10. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:These are my votes as well. Both very nice hatcheries

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by