What is the BEST heat lamp for my $$???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LilbitChicken, May 11, 2009.

1. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Hello, I am new to the chicken family...and am confused on the endless list of different lamps used in the brooder.[​IMG]

WHAT WORKS BEST for you, and where did you buy it?[​IMG]

I appreciate all the help!!!![​IMG]

2. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    RED

3. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    For me, I used the red 250W heat bulbs found at any TSC. The clear ones are fine as well but the red will be a little warmer. I used this and the brooders from the same store and they have worked great for my 31 birds, having now out grown the brooder. Hope I could help

vortec

4. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    how mch would a regular heat lamp cost??

5. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    OKAY!!!! THANK YOU!!!!![​IMG]

6. ziggy

ziggy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    CA Central Coast
    I can tell you what I do not recommend. I had gotten a red reptile lamp at Petsmart and it only lasted 10 days before burning out. I was not able to find a red lamp over 25W at any of our local stores so I gave that a try. For $14.99 I am taking it back. My brooder is a large dog crate inside the house so the 250W was too much.

7. Eric in NC

Eric in NC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    Get a fixture with a dimmer (rheostat sp?) on the cord (available from petsmart, petco, etc.) and a red bulb sized to your brooder (small brooder - 100 watt, large brooder 250 watt) then you can use the dimmer knob to adjust heat down to the right level.

You want one with a ceramic bulb "base/holder" - not plastic!

8. Young MacDonald

Young MacDonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    I have a 250W bulb I got at TSC. It cost a few $, maybe $3. No bells or whistles, no dimmer or anything. I had a reflective metal base to screw it in that was laying around the garage - I think it was for working on cars.

We just keep an eye on the babies to see how they are behaving and adjust the height of the lamp accordingly by attaching to a higher-back chair or a lower one.

We have 6 babies that are 2 1/2 weeks old & haven't lost a chick yet.

It isn't even close to the top of the line, but if you want the most for your dollar, that's probably the way to go.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:2.59 at tsc for a 250watt clear... red was 9.50ish?!

10. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    I got the 250W red heat lamp from TSC today. Stuck it over my brooder to check it (no chicks yet) and it was way too hot for my small brooder! Thank goodness there were no chicks in there! I also have a 100W red light that I'm going to try next.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by