What is the best Heritage breed Chicken for egg production?

rawheid

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
We are looking to ramp up our egg sales. I'd rather stay with heritage birds rather than ISA browns if possible. We have had great luck with our girls. But I would like larger eggs and larger quantity. If I were to go with heritage breeds which ones would give large eggs and larger production?

Or should I just stick with production breeds like ISA browns?

ETA: We currently have a mix of Chanticler, Ameracaunas, Orpingtons and some mixed breeds in our flock. They are so nice and calm, but as now they're getting up there in age and production is going down. I'm curious if there are similar breeds that would give large eggs and large production similar to the output of ISA browns. I just really like the dispositions of what I would consider Heritage breed birds.

Breeds I'm considering Ameracaunas, Australorp. I'm not against ISA browns. I would like a nice docile coop if possible.

Last edited:
Leghorn. Extra large to Jumbo white eggs and lots of them.

Rhode Island Red for extra large brown eggs.

Your talking about breeder stock right? If your purchasing from hatcheries then they are not "heritage" or whatever that name implies. They are bred for production. For instance the RIR from hatchery is basically a production red and only resembles a Rhode Island Red.

Last edited:
We currently have a mix of Chanticler, Ameracaunas, Orpingtons and some mixed breeds in our flock. They are so nice and calm, but as now they're getting up there in age and production is going down. I'm curious if there are similar breeds that would give large eggs and large production similar to the output of ISA browns. I just really like the dispositions of what I would consider Heritage breed birds.

Leghorns are a Heritage breed . they lay large eggs. white leghorns, light brown leghorn ,dark brown leghorns they'll all lay white eggs.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing. I didn't realize that leghorns were heritage. I guess I always just think about the fancy ones I hear people talking about. I'll have to look up their disposition to learn about them.

Back
Top Bottom