What is the "best" heritage meat bird?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Denninmi, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Just thinking ahead to 2012. What heritage breed is going to be closest to a BB in terms of meatiness, growth rate, and size, yet has the potential to live and reproduce naturally.

My Royal Palm/Sweetgrass crosses are small. I haven't done one of the adults yet, but honestly with the rising cost of feed, I am seriously considering just getting rid of the vast majority of my birds this fall, and starting fresh in the spring. Less winter drudgery that way. And, well, at 14 months old, they have been looking very, um, tasty to me lately....

So, what would be a good breed to replace them with next year, should they meat with an untimely demise? (pun intended).

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    White Holland or Wishard Bronze will come the closest to what you are looking for.

But even the best of them won't have the growth rate or feed conversion of a BB White.

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I have Narragansetts and Blue Slates. So far the Narragansetts look to be more promising as they seem larger. Sorry am so new to this I'm not much help ....but we decided we wanted a naturally reproducing breed too, and the Narragansetts seem to be fitting the bill so far.Ask me next spring [​IMG]
    BTW, The Narrs are gorgeous too.

4. cielo

cielo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    Does anyone have a recommended source for White Hollands? I'd like some in the future as well and am looking for a place to start.

5. crperdue

crperdue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Lake Waccamaw, NC
  6. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    One of my Bronzes is getting an attitude and I figured I would eat him but I am having a heck of a time talking him into climbing into the smoker, I tried sweet talking and everything, nothing works [​IMG]

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Bourbon reds are very tasty and grow to pretty big sizes, many folks like the flavor of the meat and they can get quite large.

8. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:We will have limited numbers of hatchings eggs this fall once it cools down enough to ship again around the middle of September. Next spring we will have plenty of eggs. There are pictures of the birds and contact information on our website

Sharon

9. cielo

cielo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    Great! Thanks everyone.

10. Gotta Love the Drake

Gotta Love the Drake Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Cloaked Romulan Warbird
    Might be cheaper and easier to just buy new each year than try to feed stock over the winter.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by