1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the best homesteading duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fordguy, Jan 6, 2010.

1. fordguy

fordguy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2007
    Posted a similar question about geese....I have 5 Muscovies, and have ordered for next spring khaki campbells, pekins. What I'm looking for are ducks that are friendly if brought up well, self sustaining both in foraging and in mothering young, and dual purpose with moderate egg laying and meat birds.

can you recommend any breeds? How did I do on my selections above?

2. Barred Rockstar

Barred Rockstar Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    From what I've heard, muscovies are probably your best bet. Mallards might be good to, but they don't have as much meat on them.

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

You can't go wrong with your Muscovies. They are everything you listed that you want in a bird.

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I would suggest Welsh Harlequins. They can lay over 300 eggs per year, and can go broody. They are also larger than Khaki Campbells, the drakes we raised would have gone 4-5 pounds dressed out.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Muscovies are your best bet. Never eaten mine but heard it's excellent meat. I know my boys get really big & the hens are excellent broodies & mothers.

My pekins were a bit spastic but also friendly. im not sure if they brood often or well though.

6. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    lovin' the 'scovies! easy keepers, QUIET, and wow they multiply like rabbits. we love them

:)

7. fordguy

fordguy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2007
    I bought adults this past month, they want NOTHING to do with me! I"m just hoping they will stay around long enough to produce babies next spring!

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would suggest Welsh Harlequins. They can lay over 300 eggs per year, and can go broody. They are also larger than Khaki Campbells, the drakes we raised would have gone 4-5 pounds dressed out.

[​IMG]

Lots of personality too.​

9. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    appleyard , saxony ducks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by