What is the best humidity for incubating chickens?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by floridachickhatcher, May 22, 2011.

1. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    This is my first time posting here

I'm hatching out RIR,Barred Rocks,Wyandottes,Austalrops and any crossed breeds baby chicks and i have looked online and everyone is saying all kinds of different % readings from 50% to 65% for the first 18 days and then after 18 days 65% to 75% and for the humidity right now i have finally managed to get it to 50% to 60% humidity and when it is time to stop turning them my other incubator i got it up to 75% to 80% humidity both flux as the day goes by so what is the ideal humidity for the first 18 days and the last 3 days remaining until hatch?

Cause this is my 3rd month of trying to hatch out chicks and i have lost about 80 eggs with chicks in them and the few runts that have died [​IMG]
    And few days ago i found out i had been putting the eggs in upside down and then it dawned on me thats why my chicks were not breaking into the air sac and pipping
    So Friday they were at 7 days incubation and im hoping MAYBE i caught them in time to turn them the correct way up and im going to start setting them by the moon

I am really hoping that all this will finally increase my hatch rate.

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Welcome to BackYard Chickens!

Everybody has their own opinion in humidity, because some have better luck with higher

humidity and some with lower. You'll need to find out what works best for you. [​IMG] The

reccomended humidity is

40-50% From day 1 - 18

and

60-70% from day 18 - till hatch.

Having the pointy end of the egg facing down is very important. The air sacs may have been on the

wrong end of the egg from being in the wrong position. [​IMG] Good luck!

3. Smith farm

Smith farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    [​IMG] Scissorchick said it all!! [​IMG] for you next hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by