what is the best incubator brand?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bufforpingtonfan, Dec 5, 2011.

1. bufforpingtonfan

bufforpingtonfan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    what has the best hatch rates?

2. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:that is an almost impossible question to answer.

You will get 50 competing answers. You will just have to buy what you determine might be best for you, and ................... SEE

3. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Well, here is a for-instance: I have two Hovabators: the moving air I use for incubation, as it keeps the temp uniform. The other is a still air and I use it for hatching, as it is less drafty for the chicks. My initial hatch rates were very low, and in researching, I found that humidity is a problem. My hatch rates were 50% or less at times, but once I found a dry incubation method(which used to be here on BYC), I got one hatch at 100% and the others were pretty close as well. It's not just the hatcher, but your environment as well. I imagine in the dryer areas that you might need to add more water to the incubator, instead of less.

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yeah, you will get a million different opinions on a question like this; everyone has their own particular preferences for what works best for their particular situation.

For beginners, I always recommend the Genesis HovaBator 1588 since it's already pre-set (kinda of "plug 'n play") and it holds a lot of eggs and comes with an auto egg turner.

[​IMG]

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    There is no contest- the Rcom is the best. It's nearly 100% on my home eggs. It's the easiest, easiest to clean, most reliable, self-contained...

...and expensive. But worth it. You'll save on having better hatches, and if you buy your hatching eggs, it's a no-brainer. Promise.

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    The reptile version is just the same- the Juragon. It's a lot cheaper sometimes, so you might look at it. The reason you never see them for sale on ebay? No one will let go of them for anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by