What is the best incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bantiebabe1200, Feb 5, 2011.

1. bantiebabe1200

bantiebabe1200 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    I was just curious about what the people from BYC think about thier bators and would really like to hear what thier personal prefrence is. Pictures are welcome if you wish. [​IMG]

I'm personally looking for a bator that will hold around 50 eggs at a time with an auto turner and be as maitanence free as possible, since I won't be able to be there to watch the eggs, temp, humidity, turning, fan control, ect. I can only truly be there from before daylight in the mornings until the mid to late evenings to check on the progress. I've only ever hatched out three ducks when I was a kid, so I really have no true experience with this. I'm planning on breeding and raising bantams and will need to know how to do this properly.

Thanks for any help, suggestions and tips you are willing to give. [​IMG]

2. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    i love my hova-bator its great auto

3. bantiebabe1200

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    I almost forgot about what bators I was looking at! I have been in a toss up between the Hova Bator 1588 and the Turbofan Bator. Wich one is better to you? Or should I consider somethinmg different?

4. bantiebabe1200

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    Quote:Ok one vote for the Hova Bator! [​IMG]

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    If money wasn't an option, I'd own nothing but RComs...I love my rcom above all else!!

I don't like the Hovabator for the fact that I can't open up a window to get in there the way I can with the LGs, so the recovery time after opening it is much longer.

If I'm not mistaken, the Turbofan is just a Hovabator with forced air. It's going to have the same inaccessibility. I'd go with an LG and get a fan kit, if that's important to you. Take a look at my Incubation Cheat Sheet if you want to see how any styro incubator can be an easy, hands-off unit.

I have a fleet of LGs without fans, with auto-turners. The investment is low, while getting the system down can make it simple.

Good luck!

6. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    If you are going to be breeding and selective breeding then you are going to want more than 50 egg cooking. I have a Dickey's and 2 Sportsman bators and I do like the Dickey's the best. The turners, trays and electronics are about the same but the Dickey's is better built and it is all solid wood. They are about as auto as it can get. I even set a bunch of eggs and went to Europe for 2 weeks while they were cooking and had a great hatch when I got back.

7. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    If you dont have that much of time I will say get the
    BRINSEA 20 EX PACKAGE

it controls temperarure and humidity by itself

Just rememebr that litlle chicks will require atention for at least the first week
    they are just like babys

8. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Get a brinsea or hova. LG is chinese junk!

9. tornado8070

tornado8070 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Ruth, MI
    Im with the Brinsea 20 Advance EX. As long as the water tank is kept full it works completely by its self. Oh and as long the power doesnt go out! [​IMG]

10. bantiebabe1200

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    Quote:I like your advice and will definitly look into the LG bator, but I do have a question after reading your cheat sheet. Does altitude make a difference in the need for humidity? I live at just under 5,000 ft so we really have among the lowest natural humitity in the air here. Does that effect an incubators tempuratures or humitity levels? I'm sure I could figure it out if I played with it some, but I know the altitude can effect cooking sometimes, would it be the same with the bator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by