What is the best incubator....?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thepetpaw, Jul 30, 2008.

1. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    I am brand new to all of this and want to hatch some eggs myself. I am not sure what kind of incubator to get. there are so many different kinds. I have read about ones with automatic humididty and temperature control but not sure which to get. I know alot of you experienced forum members can give me some great advice....please help this newbie....city girl turned country!

2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Hey! And [​IMG] !!! I have a hovabator 1588 Genesis and so far have had a 100% hatch rate. I only lost two eggs and that was from bacteria from a crack in the eggs where I dropped them. I have never had to adjust the temp and I just fill up the c try in it to keep my humidity steady! LOVE IT!!!!

You can order them from many places online. I ordered mine from GQF and didn't pay but I think 125.00 including shipping. Happy Hatching!

These people here are members of BYC as well. They sell bators and the like there for a really good price too. And BYC members get a discount by entering BYC5 I think it is at checkout. The site is : www.homeandbarnbasics.com

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  3. thepetpaw

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    Thanks so much for the advice - that is great...I will check out that website - I really appreciate it!

4. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    You are very welcome!

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I think the best incubator is the original one.. A broody hen!
    No turning, no watching for temp. spikes or worry about it at all... Hey no electric bill either.
    Seriously I like my Browers Top Hatch but the turner quit so I have to crank it myself a few times a day.
    Easy to add water to and is super easy to clean up afterwards since it is made of hard plastic..

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Shoot! I was just going to post the same thing-my best incubator is my silkie, Lorelei. Her chicks are 3 week old polish, and still, two sleep under her wings, and one roosts on top of her.

7. thepetpaw

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    Great advice but I am asking about electric type incubators. I dont have a rooster and it is kinda hard to get a hen to hatch an egg without a rooster.

I was asking for some friendly folks to help me out with the best incubators.....so any advice anyone could give on what model they prefer (not a hen) would be appreciated...

thanks to you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by