What is the best meat breed for me?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Citron_d'uccle, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Citron_d'uccle

Citron_d'uccle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    I am interested in raising a few (25-30) meat birds for personal consumption. I am looking for breeds that can also be bred to produce offspring that are true to breed. I have looked at the Freedom Ranger and Gauloise breeds but have not been able to find any breeding stock. I want birds that are a slow growing breed that will free-range well, are well-breasted and have good fat marbling. Basically looking for a breed similar to the 'Bresse Gauloise'. Any help.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    You could try finding some Californian blue foot chickens. They are a joint American/Canadian attempt to make a Bresse Gauloise since no one has been able to import that breed into the USA as far as I've learned. I'm unaware of a heritage breed that has a really nice breast like they do.

3. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    At Greenfire Farms we were recently able to legally import into the US some Bresse from Europe. The imports are on our farm in Florida.

[​IMG]

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Heritage breed good for meat? Dorking.

Most of the broilers sold are hybrids. Freedom Rangers won't breed true.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    My thoughts as well. [​IMG]

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I don't mean to sound offensive to Paul and I hope I'm not, but Greenfire Farms is NOT the place to look on the average person's budget [​IMG]

Any non-hatchery stock heritage breed is a good choice as well as some newer breeds like Araucanas and French Marans. Araucanas, though small, have some very good meat qualities and are most excellent free rangers as well as superb broody moms, making them a very ideal self-sufficient type breed.

Edited to add - Some good heritage breeds include New Hampshires, Delawares, Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Sussex, Dorkings, etc.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  7. raisingkidsandchickens

raisingkidsandchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    We just bought Black Australorps. They are supposed to be a great dual purpose breed. We're still new to this so I hope they are!

8. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    i've got split/light sussex that are greenfire farm's line

from my understanding, they are australian. they are BIG birds, and fairly quick growing (definitely not as fast as CX or FR's), and are awesome foragers. my adult chickens hardly eat any feed at all when i let them free range (they're on lockdown at the moment, due to tearing up the wife's silver mounds and flower garden) [​IMG]

the chicks, on the other hand, will eat anything you put in front of them. they'll gorge themselves on grass, plants and bugs, and then act like they're starving when you put feed in front of them [​IMG]

they're big, meaty, wide birds. i haven't processed any yet, but hopefully will this fall

9. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    this is like the tenth time i recommend this breed to people but they just r amazing birds, u should try the standard cornish not the cornish rock hybrids

10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Greenfire imports birds that can't be found elsewhere. Yes, they are pricey but importing them is hella expensive and for the breed he mentioned, they are the only source.

Of course yes, regular cornish, ie Dark Cornish, would be a great choice. I was thrown by the French breed mentioned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by