what is the best meat breed

I wasn't looking for a meat breed I just wanted to know what everyones favorite was
My favorite meat chickens are the ones that did not work out as layers or for breeding.

So I eat cockerels, and chickens that fly out of the fence, and chickens that bully others, and chickens that are victims of bullying, and chickens that panic when I pick them up, and hens that stop laying for the entire winter, and any chicken with a crossed beak or the wrong color feathers or the wrong size, or anything else I dislike.

How many chickens I have, and how much space I have, can change how picky I am about what traits. I might keep an ugly-colored hen if I am short of layers, but butcher her later when I have a prettier one.

If I wanted to raise more chickens just for meat, I would raise Cornish Cross meat chickens.

My favorite meat chickens are the ones that did not work out as layers or for breeding.

So I eat cockerels, and chickens that fly out of the fence, and chickens that bully others, and chickens that are victims of bullying, and chickens that panic when I pick them up, and hens that stop laying for the entire winter, and any chicken with a crossed beak or the wrong color feathers or the wrong size, or anything else I dislike.

How many chickens I have, and how much space I have, can change how picky I am about what traits. I might keep an ugly-colored hen if I am short of layers, but butcher her later when I have a prettier one.

If I wanted to raise more chickens just for meat, I would raise Cornish Cross meat chickens.
They all taste like chicken! I am sad when I have to heat a hen that is not working out, but she tastes good. I used to raise a batch of the Cornish-X once a year, now that I live in the mountains I am looking at a "red ranger" type bird suited to our altitude. When I order chicks, I get st. run, because I think it is wrong to dispose of the day-old cockerels. Here they live 10-12 weeks, and have a good, if short, chicken life. I just hatched some ducks, the young drakes will also be good eating. Ducks are finished in 7-8 weeks, and are something not readily available or cheap in the store, so I think they are a good meat bird. I like how they taste.

I do the same but usually just to my not laying hen and roosters.

A lot of people are fan of the Cornish cross. It has a fast growth rate, good feed conversion, looks like your typical store-bought chicken and very accepted by people. (I mentioned the last point because some people might not be so open to eating an old stewing hen who is pretty tough and not plump and tender)

Back
Top Bottom