1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the best meat rabbits for buthchering?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by springviews, Jul 16, 2008.

1. springviews

springviews Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    I got some rabbits for show I would like 2 get some 4 meat,not sure what type all ifo is appreciated.

2. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    I believe Californians and New Zealand Whites are usually the favorites for meat.

3. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    Californians
    Champagne D'Argent
    New Zealand (any color)
    Palomino
    Rex
    Satin

4. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    Commercial meat producers use Californian and New Zealand. However, in my neck of the woods those breeds were very hard to find and super expensive, so I opted for the Rex which was easily obtainable and cheap.

5. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    According to Story's Guide to Raising Rabbits It doesn't matter what breed you get so long as their not giants. It also depends if you want alot of meat on every rabbit. Some families only need a few(1 or 2) pounds. If you eat a lot of meat i recommend the commercial breeds. I just got a Californian. Most have nice large litters.
    Rex and Satin are known for their fur, so if you have the resources to tan them those are good.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am raising Californains.

7. holdinggold

holdinggold Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Alvarado TX
    New Zealands or Californians. Stay away from Flemish Giants - waaaay too much bone.

Florida Whites are have excellent dress-out. They are what I raise - like Mini New Zealands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by