What is the best method to water for young day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by feff94, Jul 18, 2011.

1. feff94

feff94 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    I had a little bowl with rocks in the botton but I had a few drown, and also when do I take the heat lamp away. We are having a heat wave in Mn with a ton of humidity. Thank s ahead of time Nate

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Standard quail chick waterers work great! Check at your TSC or Farm and Fleet.

[​IMG]

Screw on a mason jar, or the plastic jars that go with it, and you're in business! [​IMG]

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    We use a shallow dish with plenty of rocks to prevent drowning. They get wood chips in everything so anything needs cleaning every day so the amount it holds isn't a concern.

For your heat wave use a thermometer to see how hot your brooder is actually getting. Change from heat light to incandesent bulb for less heat if needed. Some folks start chicks at 100F other 95F then drop temp 5 degrees a week. It isn't long before you don't need any added heat in summer as long as indoors to keep from night lows.

4. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I use the same kind of dish that is in the picture and put marbles in the bottom. Easy to clean and I have started over 2000 chicks this year with no drownings. Mine is actually for chickens so the cup is larger.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  5. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:+1 I use these only. no rocks, no marbles... 100's of quail chicks hatched and I'v never had one drown... The trick is to put the food under the light in the warm spot. Put the water at the other end of the brooder in the cooler area. They will run over and get a drink, then run back to the warm food area. No need to worry about them find'n the water. Ol' Ma nature will take care of that.Best of luk, Bill

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THATS NOT A STANDARD , THATS A QUAIL FONT... BUT THE PICTURE IS THE CORRECT SIZE YOU WANT FOR GAMEBIRD CHICKS..

ETA... IF YOU GET THE CORRECT SIZE QUAIL WATER FONT, MARBLES WONT FIT IT IN [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  7. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:+1 I use these only. no rocks, no marbles... 100's of quail chicks hatched and I'v never had one drown... The trick is to put the food under the light in the warm spot. Put the water at the other end of the brooder in the cooler area. They will run over and get a drink, then run back to the warm food area. No need to worry about them find'n the water. Ol' Ma nature will take care of that.Best of luk, Bill

X2

8. feff94

feff94 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Perfect.. thanks to all I will get them at fleet tomorow:)

9. loopy119

loopy119 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    Some may think this is totally CRAZY but I have raised lots and lots of chicks (coturnix quail and chickens) in brooders with rabbit water bottles (with the roller ball nozzles) for drinking. They learn to use them VERY quickly too! Just make sure you hang them so they can reach the nozzles and tap their beaks on them until they get a good drink at first then they get the hang of it! No drowning, no spilling, and no cleaning waterers! I know it sounds too easy, but it really has worked for my guys everytime. I just get the cheap small ones at walmart and use a little orange gatoraid mixed with water. Good luck!!

10. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    I am in ely mn we seen 95 for days and wed .. today.. will be 98 or more.. i have chicks that were hatched on the 9th, and they are in my basement.. but they still have a lamp on them.. i moved the light up 3 more inches just a bit ago for their 3 am check in lol.. it reads right now at 85... gibe them water melon they will love that and help with he heat too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by