1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the best organic store bought compost?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by OHhappychicks, Feb 29, 2016.

1. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Hi folks! I am going to plant some carrots in containers for the first time. All the info I have read calls for compost as part of the soil combination. I don't have my own compost. I know that this is the best, but we are just getting started in making our own. But, until that happens, does anyone have a particular brand of compost they would suggest. I want it to be as clean/pure organic as possible. I have been researching a lot about commercial compost and they aren't what I want. Does anyone have any suggestions/alternatives for what I should do until I have my own compost.

Also, I'm getting ready to start some zucchini seed. What is in your opinion the best seed starting medium? Thanks for your help!!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I like Back to Nature, and have had good results with it. Check out backtonaturecompost.com

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  3. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Thank you so much! I will give them a looksee!!!

4. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    you may also have luck, looking locally. there is usually one or two nurseries, that will sell their own compost.

5. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Thanks for getting back! I do have a local guy, but he hasn't got back with me. It's been about 10 days. I did find someone that sells FoxFarm organic compost. I'm going to go pick it up this weekend. I did a lot of research. They seem to have a good product.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by