What is the best "over-all" dewormer?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Love my Critters!, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Can anyone tell me what you use as a dewormer? I live where it is VERY dry and usually animals do not have any problems with internal parasites. Would using apple cider vinager be good enough or should I get something else? If so, how often do you do it? I have about 30 chickens. How young do you start deworming?

Thanks a million for any info.

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We haven't ever chemically wormed our birds. We feed them hulled pumpkin seeds and grated carrots as treats. We also feed them crushed garlic in plain yogurt with active cultures about once a week. Apple cider vinegar with the mother is added to their waterers too, 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water.

Prevention is the thing. You shouldn't worm your birds unless you have seen actual worms.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Thanks, I agree, I would rather do everything naturally for them anyway. I hate having to give any medication or "poisens" to them if I do not have to.
    Do carrots help? I do all the other stuff you mentioned as well as DE in their nest boxes and dusting spots for external parasites.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Unless your chickens seem poorly or wormy, or you've had fecal floats done that've shown an undue wormload, I am not sure it is smart to be worming layers (or perhaps breeders either). Some people feel that worms can be somewhat prevented by things like DE in the feed or whatever, I dunno.

Good luck,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by