What is the best poultry show to attend?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BCBrian, Sep 20, 2010.

1. BCBrian

BCBrian Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    If a fellow could make only one big show - which is the one that should be on the top of my list?
    Thanks,
    Brian

2. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
  3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I agree, Ohio National! I am going for my first time this year. I'm so excited!

4. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    If you are just getting started, the best show to attend is an APA sanctioned show close to you. This way you can hopefully find someone to mentor you.

5. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    The Ohio National is super, I also like Southern Ohio at Lucasville, and Connersville Indiana Poultry Breeders is another great show that I like.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:[​IMG]

Although, I will add that it really depends on WHY you plan to attend one show? To simply see the birds at a good sized show? To purchase birds? To exhibit? To meet breeders?

The very best answer will vary depending on your intent. If you want to meet quality breeders of a particular breed, you are probably better off attending a breed club national than simply a large show. If you want to purchase birds, you cannot depend on sale birds matching your desires at a larger show any more than at a smaller one--unless you make advance arrangement with a breeder who will be attending that show. If you want to get your feet wet, find a good show close to home.

7. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Where are you? That might help some of us make suggestions as to what show to attend.

8. BCBrian

BCBrian Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    I'm in B.C., Canada and am trying to get to know (with the goal of eventually buying top quality birds) some of the top fanciers in the Wyandotte breed. Eventually, when I can arrange it, I want to pay them whatever it takes, in order to start with some really good show-quality birds. I don't want to spend years trying to re-invent the wheel, I'd rather purchase good show-quality birds to get my start - and go from there.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by