What is the best purebred meat chicken?

brooster

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
northwest Ohio
I did not have very good luck with the cornish roasters but would still like some chicken. What is the best purebreed meat bird. How long to reach fryer, and roaster size. And is the meat good and tender. Also would i be able to win at the fair or are the judges looking for cornish rock roaster chickens?

Sorry I can't help with whats the best dual purpose breed when compared to the cornish x. I don't think any non Cornish rock would fair well competition wise with other cornish x's either. You can try though.

I was browsing at Ideal Hatchery's web site this evening and noticed they have some meat birds that I have never heard of before. They are called black broilers and red broilers. This is what it says about them:
"When broiler rations are fed, producers can expect to have six pound broilers in seven weeks or less. Since black broilers are more active than Cornish Rocks and grow slightly slower, they rarely experience leg weakness or Ascite, which is fluid in the body cavity."
You might want to check them out...sounds like that might be more what you are looking for. If they really do flesh out that quickly, I don't see why they couldn't compete with the cornish x's. Maybe someone on here knows more about them or can speak from experience though. Good luck with your search!

I use the cornish x hens. I love them. They grow incredibly fast. We just got our first batch in and we will be butchering soon.

Back
Top Bottom