1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the best rooster to have? BO,Ameraucana,Silkie, or RIR

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AAJ, Dec 27, 2011.

1. AAJ

AAJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    If I want to have 2 silkie hens, 2 buff orpington hens, 2 ameraucana hens, and 2 rhode island red hens which of the four breeds would have the best rooster to keep for breeding with/having?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would suggest a silky rooster to lessen the abuse on the silky hens.

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Silkies make nice roosters even though I do have one brat in my group (Peaches) Mostly he is obsessed with getting Cotton's girls out of the breeder coop which ain't happening.
    Cotton my Wheaten Ameraucana is a nice boy so I would recommend them too.

Now I have seen Lester my LF Black Wyandotte rooster mate my bantam frizzle cochin girls and Blueberry who is a Silkie. He is very gentle with them and only holds em using a one leg manuver.
    Lester mainly prefers the big girls but has some loyal bantam girls that only want him.

It depends on the roosters personalities. But Silkies would be the safest bet due to their size.

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I have a huge BO roo with 8 girls. The hens are bantams and standards. The roo is the sweetest thing to me ever. But he is also super protective to strangers. Love him.[​IMG]

5. AAJ

AAJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Does your BO rooster hurt your bantams back or do anything like that?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by