What is the best Rooster to keep?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by christmaschicken, Aug 26, 2008.

1. christmaschicken

christmaschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Christmas, Florida
    I have 4 Roosters I must only keep one I have a White Leghorn he is so hansome, I have a Buff Orp, Rhode Island Red, and a D'anvers?? I think.

The Leghorn chases my daughter and has spured her once, Buff is just MEAN, RIR is pretty nice but can be mean and the D'anver if that is what he is, well he seems the most relaxed but can be mean at times.

What is the best Rooster to have? Can anyone enlighten me on this?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Nobody but you can answer this. There isn't anyone who can say which rooster is better than the other. Each is going to have their own advantages and disadvantages, and those are all going to differ in differnt peoples eyes.

YOU have to make the decision which rooster is going to be the most enjoyable and safest for your family!

3. greggy

greggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    Quote:I guess it depends on what you want the roo for....I keep a RIR rooster because I want to crossbreed him with barred rock hens to produce the black sex link which is supposed to be a great hybrid laying hen...going to find out next spring I hope....Again depends on the purpose.
    Greg

4. christmaschicken

christmaschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Christmas, Florida
    I just want him to protect my hens that is pretty much it a great watch dog to make them feel safe, that being said I guess my Leghorn is the best, he only chases you if you try to mess with his hens, and my daughter loves to pick them up and he is only trying to protect them....

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:THERE ya go! LOL... And you can try and teach him not to spur. Have her carry a squirt bottle filled with water when she goes in the coop. (unless she is too young, then you'll need to do it for her). When she goes in the coop, and he starts charging her, promptly give him a good squirt or two. Over time he'll learn that she is dominant...

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I agree with the earlier post, just depends on what you want him for.

Seems to me you have eliminated at least two.

I have seen many a post about a "mean" rooster.

IMHO, roosters just don't know their place in rank.

Don't let a rooster chase your daughter, you or anyone else for that matter and if a rooster does flog you a good swift kick across the coop generally sets them straight on who is the top ranking rooster, ME!!!!

The second I see a rooster challange me, it usually starts with the head down and the neck feather out, I chase him down, grab him by the feet and carry him upside down for 5 or 10 minutes.

I have had a rooster or two that got me from behind and this is when when I turn, run at them and send them flying with a kick.

My kicks are not death blows they are generally just a good lifting experience! I am just letting him know I am much stronger than he and not to challange my position.

I did have a RIR years ago that never got the measage and soup he bacame.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  7. greggy

greggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    The problem with keeping roos is that they tend to get mean. i know my RIR roos get aggressive. you gotta watch them around children...If I didn't want to hatch eggs I wouldn't keep one

8. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Just my opinion, but if you have one that has already spurred someone, then you need to get rid of him. The next time he could take an eye out!

As far as the others, just weed them out one at a time. The dynamics of the flock change as you remove one, so watch them for a week or so after you remove the first one and then pick your next one.

If you love the leghorn so much that you just have to keep him, then keep him separate and don't let anyone be subjected to him.
    Good luck!
    ~Rebecca

9. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    If the 4 roosters you have are mean, maybe keeping "#5" would be the best solution. Roosters will not be mean when they are put in their place!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by