What is the best/safest way to clean dirty eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by renamae, Oct 19, 2009.

1. renamae

renamae New Egg

Oct 19, 2009
    I have tried wiping with dry and damp cloth. That's just not working. I have read that I can use a nonscented disinfectant..any suggestions? Thanks!

2. IAK

IAK Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    Have you tried using a Scotchbrite pad?

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I simply run under warm water and use a little finger power to remove dirt. It doesn't always remove the "stain" left but I don't care and the few people who do buy my eggs don't care either. One co-worker told me "I don't care, I don't eat the shell".

4. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Non-chicken people are repulsed by the "animal" or mud on the shell, nontheless. I know that you can leave your eggs out on the counter, BUT, I usually refridgerate mine, in the case that I nicked one and cracked the shell--I'm only getting 6 eggs/day now, so I'm careful with them. I like to get them wet and wipe off with a handtowel before I put away any dirty ones.

5. lemoniee

lemoniee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    Hi,
    I just wet a kitchen towel and give them a rub until theyr clean then leave to dry on a kitchen towel or in an egg box, it doesnt really bother me but they dont look very nice!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by