1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the best shampoo?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickened, Oct 10, 2012.

1. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Ok you guys I have a rather odd question and I know some of you know a lot more about this than me.

What is the best shampoo for your hair and scalp/skin? and why?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I really like the Nature's Gate shampoos for my child with very sensitive skin. If I use something off the shelf in the mainstream shampoo isle, he breaks out in a rash.

Also all those organic ones are yummy smelling - like Avalon Organics, Jason, etc.

I like vitacost.com and amazon.com.

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I am chemically sensitive. Lucky me. [​IMG] Anything that has a smell, I can't use. I stopped using shampoo and switched to baking soda. It cleans my hair, doesn't smell like funeral flowers and it is CHEAP!

4. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I use Murphy's Oil soap on the critters - is gentle on their skin and smells great.
    Even use it myself once in a while [​IMG]

5. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    This is a worrying departure from your usual type of contributions Chickened? Never struck me as the type of chap to be concerned with these kind of things. Perhaps you are just getting in touch with your feminine side? Hope so, we'ed miss the 'old bruiser'!

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Some have great luck with things like baking soda or homemade shampoos. A lot of people with undyed hair and a dry scalp use mane and tail (an equine) shampoo.

I have never found a brand loyalty to shampoo, and have yet to experience glistening Fabio locks rippling in their own breeze. I remain ever hopeful.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have tried the Mane N Tail shampoo- it was years ago though. I don't remember if I liked it. It was a fad for a time.

8. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Got more face to wash than I got hair to shampoo!

9. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Being the conservative that I am I wish to retain what hair I have left. I am not ready to shave my head yet.

10. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Next thing we know, chickened will be out there picking up molted feathers and making a wig.........trying to convince us that it is real hair!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by