1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the best states economy wise?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Oct 21, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am thinking about moving and I was wondering what the best state's are economy wise?
    Thank you in advance. [​IMG]

2. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
  3. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Quote:oops that is 2009 but probably ranking the same but unemployment is higher

4. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Good links ted [​IMG] I didn't know Idaho was so bad. We've been doing ok this year but my hubby had to go to Kettle Falls Wa, last winter for work. This winter he's booked out till spring so I get to keep him around! Yay!
    Looks like the Dakotas have the lowest unemployment. We've even considered moving there.

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Those are some really nice links thank you so much! [​IMG]

6. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
  7. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    One of the problems with the Dakotas and Nebraska showing low unemployment (Nebraska was under 5% when we moved, I worked in Unemployment, thus, I know this area a bit) is that they are high agri states, so there aren't a lot of jobs outside the large cities, but the farmers being agri aren't able to get UI, so thus they aren't part of that number.

You could not pay me to move back there or to one of the Dakotas, the job prospects are still nothing.

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Texas has relatively low unemployment, but a high percentage of the jobs are low wage. It also has bad schools, high rates of poverty and other issues. Low unemployment numbers don't tell you everything.

Since you want farm land, you might look at things like ample water, availability of markets if you intend to sell farm stuff, and other things. Low land costs with no jobs doesn't work, low land prices with no water also doesn't work.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    NH is a pretty state also... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by