1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the best thermometer/hygrometer to buy?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JeffTammy94, Dec 8, 2014.

1. JeffTammy94

JeffTammy94 New Egg

Apr 25, 2014
    We have a still air incubator with an auto-rotating egg turner. On our last batch of 9 eggs, only 2 of them hatched. We think it is because of the thermometer/hygometer we used. What is the best one to buy?

2. biteme2134

biteme2134 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    I don't know what the "best" one is, but we use this one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/IncuTherm-P...583?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f08ae74f7
    It's works great.

We have a hovabator still air foam incubator.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Get a psychrometer instead of a hygrometer. The psychrometer is simpler and uses two thermometers to obtain relative humidity. The difference between the temperature indicates the relative humidity. This solves both of your problems, relative humidity and temperature. I am unsure if there is enough room in the incubator that you are considering for a psychrometer to fit, but the difference between a psychrometer and a hygrometer is the difference between an iPhone and two tin cans tied together.

OH, I forgot: [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Did the two that hatched hatch on time, or were they a little late? What was the average temp during incubation? A still air should be maintained at 101-102 degrees (dispite manufacturer's instructions) not the 99.5 degrees F that is recommended for still air. I can't say what the best hygrometer is (honestly I can't even tell you if mine is accurate). My last hatch I did dry hatch and kept an eye on the air cells then upped the humidity for lockdown/hatch.
    This is a great source of info for hatching: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

I personally use three thermometers+my hygrometer in my bator. I will never rely on just one again.

5. JeffTammy94

JeffTammy94 New Egg

Apr 25, 2014
    Ha ha ha, thanks chickengeorgeto! My husband actually has a psychrometer and we didn't even think to use it. I will definitely use it on the next batch. And thanks for the welcome, I am really enjoying all of the posts and great advice on here!

6. JeffTammy94

JeffTammy94 New Egg

Apr 25, 2014
    AmyLynn2374, yes, the two hatched on the same day and they were right on schedule (day 21). The average temp during incubation was 100°F. I will keep it at 101 from now on. I have never thought to use two thermometers, I will definitely try that next time. Thanks a lot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by