What is the best thermometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cluck1, Feb 19, 2009.

1. cluck1

cluck1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    I was just wondering what is the best kind of thermometer to have and what type of stores to get them at

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:The best is one that is calibrated at 99.5F.

It doesn't need to cost much, just be checked so you can rely on it.

3. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    LOL...yeah what Twigg said. If it reads accurately, that's the best one. I finally broke down and bought a spot check made by Brinsea.....what a great piece of equipment and works perfectly.

Dan

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:It's very reasonably priced too.

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    The best thermometers are the glass ones, in mercury or spirit.

6. mom2fourbebes

mom2fourbebes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    whatever you do, don't get the Springfield digital thermometer/hygrometer found at Walmart...just horrible!!

I ended up getting a glass thermometer/hygrometer from Accu-Rite (Tractor and Supply store) and I also bought at the suggestion of one of the BYC members, a oral thermometer to verify accuracy and the Accu-rite is in sync with the oral temperature as far as temp is concerned....

I've had my inc going for over a week now trying to get the whole temp and humidity thing as right as possible...and this past week the temp is right on....both oral and Accu-Rite thermometers are pretty much reading the same...so we're crossing our fingers and sprinkling a little baby chick fairy dust and hoping for the best...20 Silkie eggs on day 20!!

7. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Many people here have the Springfield.

Why is it horrible? Mine works just fine, and they are easily calibrated.

It's nice if a spirit (mercury are hard to get) thermometer reads accurately, but it doesn't need to. You just need to know how inaccurate it is at 99.5.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by