what is the best thing to put outside the chicken coop to scare away predators?

chickenlover120

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2015
I had a lost 1 week ago but I got more chicks and chickens so I want to put them back in the pen but I want something to try to scare away the predators but I found this predator guard solar LED light what would scare the predator away but what do you guys think I should put outside or inside of my chicken pen and run?

Thanks! Oh and also I do have 2 labs but they are put up in the pen at night by they bark but I guess it does not scare the predators away and also it was secure but it got through the roof of the run but you could tell something big was up there and it was sitting up there watching them and broke the wires what held the chicken wire.

When we first got our chicks I asked this same question about the predator lights. On this forum and another pet forum. The answers on both were "save your money and put it in building a more secure coop/run".

I'd agree with the recommendation for the electric fence. I use electrified poultry netting myself (650' of it) to surround the coop, and it works great to keep out ground preds. Motion lights may work for a time or two, but I have a motion flood light on my back deck, where the garbage cans are. I can be sitting there watching TV, and the light will go on. I'll take a look out the back window, and see a coon peaking up over the steps. Then they will usually sneak on up there and attempt to rob one or more, of my garbage. Unfortunately for them, the old .45 is in standby. They get so intent on what they are doing, they don't notice me sliding open the window, and drawing down on them. I've knocked off more than a couple of coons this way. It seems that, all a motion light does is make it easier to see what they are doing.

Having a secure coop and run is the best way to keep your chickens safe. Hardware cloth is much stronger than chicken wire. If you can post a picture of your coop
we could help you better. Sorry for your loss.

We are still working on it to get ready to put the big coop outside and put more chain link fence but for the roof we had chicken wire

Back
Top Bottom