What is the best time of year to raise meat birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ssledoux, Apr 30, 2008.

1. ssledoux

ssledoux Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Is it not a good idea to raise them in the summertime? Should I wait until fall. Of course, I'm here in Louisiana where there isn't really a fall, and I don't know which hatcheries are still shipping in fall.

I want to do some. We have never tried it, and in fact, other than hunting, dh has never killed anything for us to eat. However, since he DOES hunt, I figure this should be fairly easy for him to handle (he hunts deer, rabbit, duck and dove - though he doesn't hunt the latter two nearly as often).

Anyway, I'd like to start with around 20 or so and I plan on having him just skin them. I figure I'll separate them after by cutting off the leg quarters for stews, soups and taking out the breasts for boneless, skinless breasts. We'll freeze the necks and stuff for our dogs and cats to eat.

When would be a good time to do this?

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Being in your area I would say fall. I am in Maine and I raise in the summer and only keep them for about 8 weeks. If you decide summer just make sure they don't overheat, they have heart attacks easy anyway.

Good luck, they are yummy!!!

3. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    I lost 3 (out of about 20) last year, just due to the heat... and I live in Michigan. It got up to around 100 degrees for several days last year. I have mine living in a 10x10 pen, with a tarp over half of it. Inside a coop, it would have probably been even worse.

Anyway, if you do raise them on hot days, someone suggested putting ice in their water, and someone else suggested freezing 2-litre bottles filled with water, and setting them in strategic locations.

Also, they can handle heat better when they are younger. Once they get to be about 6 weeks old or more, the heat becomes more of a problem.

4. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    I'm raising a batch now (25) and will prob. do 50-75 in the fall. I wouldn't try during the hottest part of the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by