What is the best type of heat lamp?

Niche Flock

Songster
5 Years
Mar 22, 2017
Hi! I'm expecting ducklings & goslings in June and am looking at different options for heat lamps in my brooder. I've raised ducklings in the past, but usually received them earlier in the year around April.

In the past I've used standard red incandescent heat lamps with the general metal dome top w/clamp, along with an additional clamp to keep it secure. After reading horror stories about barn fires and such I've decided to look for other options. Anyone have experience with ceramic bulbs, heat pads, premier heat lamps or the brooder overhead adjustable heating tables??
Any advice appreciated!

I use a Brinsea EcoGlow 50 for my ducklings and I love them!
DSCN5102 (Large).JPG

Hello! I worried about the same thing! So I looked up heating elements for chicks online and I found a heating plate. I bought one and I love it!! It makes it much easier to leave the house without worrying! Hope this helped
I've heard about heating plates just don't know anyone who has tried them before. This is great to hear, thank you for the advice!

We just use a Mamma Heat pad. Ours cost 13 bucks at Walmart. My next chicks will be here in June noway I can use a 250w heat lamp in a room in my house with outside temperatures of 80/100F. We never raise more than 10 at a time. So your needs may vary. It definitely works well for chicks.

I stopped using a heat lamp this year. Instead I got a Premier heating plate and used it for the first few weeks with 20 Muscovies, then put them into a GQF brooder which I had just bought, and then once they were getting too tall for the GQF (they grew like weeds! you can buy an extension but I was too slow in ordering it) I put them in one of my stalls with the plate. The Muscovies knew to use it for warmth, it was still freezing at night and they were just beginning to feather out.
I got a second batch of 25 Saxonies that went directly into the GQF. When they were popping out of that I stuck them in a stall too, and moved the plate in with them. They never figured out what it was meant for.
I really liked the plate. It’s more expensive but worth the cost.
The GQF is $225? so even more expensive. I liked it too but for waterfowl you’d definitely need the extension for height and automatic waterer (bucket + float valves). And NEVER in the house again. The birds seemed calmer than normal. It’s nice because they are on a wire floor so all the poop falls down onto a metal sheet that you pull out to remove it. A full sheet is about equal to about 1/2 a large kitty litter container. I used 2 troughs for water and 1 for food. I needed to refill both during the day. To really clean the unit it’s probably best to disassemble it. I never did find the correct height adjustment for access to external troughs and ended up with escapees and poop trails all around it. I even had 1 duckling insist on going underneath the floor multiple times and having to pull it out. Never figured out how it managed to do this.
If you’re going to do multiple single batches during the year the GQF is really nice. I think I would have lost my mind if I had done my usual kiddy pool and plate setup with the Muscovies, so I splurged. Work took over my life and I did not have the time so I really do mean I was going into panic mode.... And now that they are fully feathered out I’m going to go broke trying to feed them + the Saxonies. But what sweet birds! It’s going to be hard sending them off to freezer camp in a few weeks.

I stopped using a heat lamp this year. Instead I got a Premier heating plate and used it for the first few weeks with 20 Muscovies, then put them into a GQF brooder which I had just bought, and then once they were getting too tall for the GQF (they grew like weeds! you can buy an extension but I was too slow in ordering it) I put them in one of my stalls with the plate. The Muscovies knew to use it for warmth, it was still freezing at night and they were just beginning to feather out.
I got a second batch of 25 Saxonies that went directly into the GQF. When they were popping out of that I stuck them in a stall too, and moved the plate in with them. They never figured out what it was meant for.
I really liked the plate. It’s more expensive but worth the cost.
The GQF is $225? so even more expensive. I liked it too but for waterfowl you’d definitely need the extension for height and automatic waterer (bucket + float valves). And NEVER in the house again. The birds seemed calmer than normal. It’s nice because they are on a wire floor so all the poop falls down onto a metal sheet that you pull out to remove it. A full sheet is about equal to about 1/2 a large kitty litter container. I used 2 troughs for water and 1 for food. I needed to refill both during the day. To really clean the unit it’s probably best to disassemble it. I never did find the correct height adjustment for access to external troughs and ended up with escapees and poop trails all around it. I even had 1 duckling insist on going underneath the floor multiple times and having to pull it out. Never figured out how it managed to do this.
If you’re going to do multiple single batches during the year the GQF is really nice. I think I would have lost my mind if I had done my usual kiddy pool and plate setup with the Muscovies, so I splurged. Work took over my life and I did not have the time so I really do mean I was going into panic mode.... And now that they are fully feathered out I’m going to go broke trying to feed them + the Saxonies. But what sweet birds! It’s going to be hard sending them off to freezer camp in a few weeks.
I still like my 13 dollar heat pads but do not raise poultry professionally. They live or die like chicken here.

Back
Top Bottom