What is the best way to calm chickens when they get frightened?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Henchanted, May 5, 2017.

1. Henchanted

Henchanted Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Monroe, Washington
    My 19 chickens are 10 weeks old. They have been in their coop since 6 weeks. I got them when they were one week. They were in the house in a large brooder for the first 6 weeks. We are in the process of building a predator safe run. I go out to see them and spend time with them in the morning and in the late afternoon and sometimes more often. They have been very happy and calm chickens until tonight. I went out to do the late afternoon cleaning and treats and talking to and petting, etc. and they were all in one corner of the coop frightened. They were all trying to get into the corner. I was able to calm about half of them down by talking calmly and petting them. Some I had to hold for a while but they finally calmed down. But about 7 of them just would not completely calm down and I decided to leave the coop and let them figure it out since all the rest were now up on their roost and bedding down for the night. They were not even interested in their special treats that they always love.

The previous night we had a horrible thunderstorm but this morning they were all fine. I want to mention that the coop is completely predator safe. It is a metal shed with hardware cloth venting. The floor is hardware cloth with pavers on top of that. Nothing can get in so I do not think that would be it. I am very concerned.

How do you calm chickens down once they get so frightened?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Sounds like something spooked them for sure. There's not much can do to calm them - it's a matter of time.

3. Henchanted

Henchanted Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Monroe, Washington
    Thank you for reassuring me that there is nothing more I can do. I will check on them in the morning and hope they are all calmed down without harm. So afraid they will hurt each other when they are so skittish.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You're welcome and I'm sure they will be ok. My flock will avoid places in the garden where a hawk attack takes place for weeks. They're not as stupid as non-chicken keepers like to think (at least sometimes, they're not) [​IMG]

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Trying putting something in the middle of the run they can retreat to where they can break line of sight with something they perceive as a threat. A piece of plywood with corners supported by cinder blocks may do. When threatened, most will go under there where they are less likely to pile up. Pile ups can kill birds on bottom easily, especially with larger groups of chickens.

You do not want piling against wall of pen where a predator can zip around and grab chicks through the wire.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by