What is the best way to find a new home for your chickens?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by countryday04, Dec 3, 2013.

1. countryday04

countryday04 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Springfield, Ohio
    I have 3 male silkies that need to find new homes and I don't want them to go to someone who is not going to take care of them. I have one black and two white males. When I got them they were only a few weeks old and I didn't know what sex they were but now it is clear. My females should start laying eggs within the month and my males are starting to get territorial and fighting. I also found out recently that I am not aloud to have males because of the crowing. I live in town and have lets say ignorant neighbors. I need to find homes soon before one of them gets hurt. Any ideas or is anyone looking for a beautiful male silky? I live in Ohio.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] you can go to forum and then chickens in need of free re-homing or the others are for sale. one to eight weeks ect..... what part of ohio are you? im Indiana

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Once you have 20 posts you can participate in the Buy,sell,trade forum or even the "free animals needing homes thread. For now however you can go to "where am I, where are you," in this social forum . You can then locate and post on your state thread. Someone near your area may be happy to have a rooster or two, etc. Wish you luck. There are so many obstacles to prevent keeping roosters, it just isn't fair.

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    we need one of those smiley faces you can pick from what are they called ? emoticons? of a face turning red from embarrassment. i for one would use it religiously.hehe

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Also locally you can try posting on Craigslist or similar places, and put up flyers in local feed stores or where ever you buy your chicken feed, also if they may be showable try your local 4-H clubs if anybody does poultry projects that could use them.

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I agree with the above advice, my local feed store will take extra roosters if they have room, good luck to you.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:Good places to start. Welcome to BYC, and good luck.

8. countryday04

countryday04 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Springfield, Ohio
    Thanks for all the info I will try these out. It really sucks that I have to give them all up cause I really love my black little guy he has a silver neck and is so sweet. But since he is the big noise maker I can't keep him. I just want them to find good homes. I live near Dayton, Ohio. Again thanks for the help.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    aw, too far for me. didnt need them anyway. just always try to make room for a stray.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by