what is the best way to take care of run under the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jomanas, Aug 7, 2011.

1. jomanas

jomanas New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    I'm new to chickens and have 3, 10 week chickens now. I take great care keeping inside the coop clean, which is easy with a sliding tray, but am not quite sure what I should do for the attached run. Should I put anything on the dirt, like sand? Do I need to rake it up if so how do I take care of the section under the house?
    I want to build an extended run next to this, attached to the run door, but need to figure out what kind of maintenance is involved with this dirt run before deciding what kind of design for the extended run. Im open to suggestions.
    [​IMG]

2. naughty girls

naughty girls New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    I rake mine out daily... that way they dont track it in their nests. Mine is about 8 x 12

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I have a very large sweet gum tree in my yard so I save the fallen leaves and add the dried out leaves over time to the run. The chickens love to peck through them, scattering them throughout the run and churning them into the dirt along with their poop. I've only raked the run a couple of times in over a year. Sometimes I shake some DE about as well...

4. naughty girls

naughty girls New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    what is DE?

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Oh, and [​IMG] !!!

6. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    I just rake up the dirt, basically mixing dirt and poo back together, once a week or more frequently is it's been rainy. Water + poo = bad smell!

7. HortenseCumberbatch

HortenseCumberbatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Ditto, what is DE?

8. Eznet2u

Eznet2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Diatomaeceous Earth

9. Eznet2u

Eznet2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Many great benefits for you and your Birds. [​IMG]

10. HortenseCumberbatch

HortenseCumberbatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Wow. I just looked it up on Wikipedia and other pages. It sounds like amazing stuff with so many uses. Good for your birds, as well as a stabilizer in dynamite!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by