What is the best way to tame baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OkapisRule, Apr 29, 2009.

1. OkapisRule

OkapisRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2007
    Northern georgia
    My sister and I have 10 baby chickens that are about a week old, and we have been holding them off and on, but that's about all we have been doing in terms of taming them. I was wondering what all of you have experience with doing to tame chicks.
    All help would be appreciated especially before it's too late.

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    The best way is to spend at least 10 minutes a day touching and talking to them and as they get older they should be pretty tame, depending on the breed. I have some brown leghorns that have no interest in being touched at all, and some buff orps that just love being played with. Hope that helps!

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I find that not all make good pets but watch them and usually one or so will stand out. It will want to be near you, fly to you, etc.. Take that one and love on it like no tomorrow and you might get a grand pet...JMO

eta: I take my favorite pullet out for bugs. She loves termites. Scratch them out some worms, crickets, termites, or other bugs and it will be one happy chick.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  4. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    treats

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    hand feed meal worms. You will be their friend forever !

6. OkapisRule

Oct 24, 2007
    Northern georgia
    I don't think I really want to spoil them that much. Besides, where do you get meal worms?

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Define "tame."

AS long as they aren't gutting one another, Im satisifed and pretty much leave them alone.

Others expect them to break into a chorus of "Hello My Ragtime Gal" at first sight of their masters.

SO, what do you mean by tame?

8. amyc

amyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Jefferson, Wisconsin
    After about a week it finally clicked with my chicks that I wasn't going to attack them and they were OK with me. I still have some that are skittish, but there are a couple now who are OK with being picked up, those are the ones that are becoming my favorites....

9. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My kids and I held our baby chicks pretty much everyday from the day we got them (as day olds or week olds) and for the last couple of years they have all allowed us to pick them up anytime as adults. Even our flighty breeds can be picked up (white leghorns, SS Hamburg) although those don't come to us to be picked up - most of the rest of ours actually come to us.

Treats are very helpful too!

10. OkapisRule

Oct 24, 2007
    Northern georgia
    Thanks Chirpy and amyc.
    Davaroo: My definition of tame is at the very least run away from you but do that thing where they duck down and put their wings out when you put their hand over them and also come when you call a food call (my chickens I currently have to be at least a yard away from you when you are moving, but they still come when there is food involved [​IMG]. Middle tame would be not caring if you got close to them and ducking down when you put your hand over them in addition to coming when you call them. Ideally, I would like for at least some of them to want to climb on me or cuddle with me or that kind of thing. Hope that answers your question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by