What is the best way to use D.E.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RaniaH, Mar 4, 2013.

1. RaniaH

RaniaH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    Hello,

I'm a new chicken mommy-see introduction.

I just purchased food grade D.E. to prevent lice or mites on my chickens. i have read that people mix it in with the feed or sprinkle them on the chickens. What is the best way. I have a 12lb feeder and for keeping track of how much I have left, I never fill up the feeder so I'm not sure what would be the safe amount to mix in with their food. When it comes to sprinkling how much do you sprinkle on per chicken. Any help with is would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,

Rania

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Sprinkle some DE in the dirt where the chickens enjoy dust-bathing.
    They will kick up the DE mixed with the dirt into their feathers and do a way better job of dusting themselves than you can ever do.
    It is very fine and not good to breathe, so I would not recommend dusting them yourself.
    I do not put it into their feed although some do.
    IF you notice you have lice or mites, you can dust the nest boxes and roosts as well as the litter inside the coop.
    I use a flour sifter to sift the DE in the areas I want to dust.
    [​IMG]

3. RaniaH

RaniaH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    Thank you. When it comes dust baths they are currently going in my veggie beds. I did set up a kiddie pool with spoil that they slowly migrating to but not enough for a dust bath. Will the D.E. harm my veggies? I want to keep it as organic as possible?

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    The DE becomes useless once it becomes wet.
    So as soon as you water your garden, the DE is gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by