1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the best way train your chickens to come into the coop..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hens4thehudds, Jul 30, 2011.

1. hens4thehudds

hens4thehudds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    We have 6- 4week old chicks and we are trying to figure out the best way to get them to come back into their coop after free ranging out in our backyard. We have used meal worms, which they love, but once they get the meal worms they run around tackling each other for the worm rather than going back into the coop. Others must have a better method...any ideas would help:)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    It seems like I have spoiled them from any other treats, because if I offer anthing other than meal worms they just look at my hand and if it isnt a worm they just turn away...I am kinda stuck..they are getting to fast to chase:p

3. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    get a bell - a loud one - like a cow bell... whenever you feed them the worms - in the coop -ring the bell... they soon learn to associate the bell with food - espcially if it is a treat they really like - it works on mine ... i've given them treats with a bell since they were babies - and now they come to the bell pretty well - although there is always one you have to herd in

4. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    Thank you I will try that... we have just been making kissing noises...which you cant hear from far away... we will give it a shot:)

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

First thing those young birds need to know is they belong in the coop. the coop is safe, dry, and warm Lock them in the coop for 2-3 days BEFORE you allow them to run around free.
    The first day you let them free-range, wait untill an hour or 2 before sunset. Be sure the food dishes are full. give the food bowls a scoop or two of feed, then release the chickens....... when the sun goes down, those chickens will walk right back in their coop. You only need to count heads & tails, and lock the doors.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Have the chicks been kept in coop for any length of time before the free ranging started?

7. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    Yes definately... the stay in there the majority of the time because they are 4 weeks old. We have been taking them out to the yard under supervision, because we have hawks etc. and then putting them back in their little carrier and taking them back to the coop.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Every 28 days I have batch of chicks that were kept in a chicken tractor not unlike your coop until they are 4 weeks old. Then I open gate and allow them to walk around on their own at their own pace. They quickly learn lay of land and return to tractor for feed, water and comfort. By dark they also return to roost. Best to alllow chicks to get around on their own.

9. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    I think we will try just opening the door and allowing them to roam at their own pace today, and see what happens:) We are new to this so every aspect of raising chickens is a new experience ! thanks for your guidance! It is definately needed.[​IMG]

10. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    start in the evening and go backwards. Let them out 1 hour before dark, then 2 hrs, then 3 etc until you get to the amount of time you want them to range. If you let them out an hour before dark to start with they will learn and remember that they need to go back to the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by