1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the best way....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cruisnmoma, Feb 7, 2014.

1. cruisnmoma

cruisnmoma Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2013
    To introucuce baby chicks to a 2 yr old hen?

I posted in another thread that 5 of our girls were killed by a dog. the lone surviver is very social. I dont think she will be happy alone. right now she is recovering from the attack. we were thinking about getter some new chicks since they are now avalible. If we were to get them, could we let her meet them as babies, and her having ingeries? My thought since she is in recovery, she would not be able to try and hurt them, and they would all get a chance to know each other. I have no idea if this is a good idea, just mor of a thought right now.

I would love some feedback or ideas.

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Hi,

That's to bad for you hen [​IMG]. It wouldn't be a very good idea to introduce chicks to a full grown hen. I'd wait until they are feather until I introduce them. For right now I would get another full grown hen and have her as a friend for your lone bird. Hope this helps ;).

HS Pye

3. cruisnmoma

cruisnmoma Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2013
    we are thinking about a hen, or maybe even a duck. i have the word out to let some people know we are looking. I just want ot do what is best for her. She will not like being alone.

4. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    I wouldn't do a duck for the sake of risking the poultry getting diseases transferred.

HS Pye

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by