What is the best winter (New York State) food for chickens - be it seeds, grains or greens?

Steena

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 13, 2013
I would like to begin to prepare for the winter.
I have bought straw for bedding and the ground around the coop.
I've secured the pen which houses the coop with wind barriers. The material allows the sun to beam through. The coop is vented and the pen is vented as well.
I bought a light fixture, but now that I've read many replies about light and the results from it, I won't use it. I originally thought a caged light would be a source of heat.
All I have left to think about is the winter feed.
I also bought a heated fountain. Again, a tip from this marvelous site.
Thank you everyone for your good information and generous sharing.
Steena

Girls (2 girls 1 cockerel, but we still call him/her Rosie) are six months.
They will be laying eggs maybe in two more months???
I mean two of them will.
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate any information.
Steena

The best food for winter is a balanced diet. Protein, fats, fiber, minerals, vitamins, all the normal stuff. As Centrarchid implied, which exact mix will depend on there age and whether they are laying.

A commercial feed appropriate for their age and function is perfect. It will contain all the nutrients they need to remain healthy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with supplementing that commercial feed with kitchen scraps or other treats as long as they maintain a balanced diet. Don’t go overboard on any of those treats and try to vary the treats so they supply different nutrients. But the key is a balanced diet.

Last edited:
I feed the same thing winter and summer-- all in one feed, all my kitchen scraps and some cracked corn when the mood strikes me. No need to feed any different in winter than summer, they may just eat more, like most critters.

Thank you.
I'm getting the 'hang' of it. Saving everything from my kitchen except potatoes skins.
The cooked butternut squash is a hit with the girls.
Thanks to the member who suggested it be cooked. I eat half the squash and give the other half to the girls!!!!

Back
Top Bottom