What is the big burgundy colored one? (new pics post 16)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Crickett B, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Crickett B

Crickett B Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Suppose to be a hen......sure is HUGE. (Bigger than my 10 month Barred rock) Also the breed?
    I'll try to take better pictures of it tomorrow....it was down right very nippy here today.
    Also got a white one, which I know is a pullet. [​IMG] Since it was shivering, I brought it inside and stuck it with the Gold Duckwing Roo.... only ones the raised a ruckus were the two hens. The roo tried to "feed" it, which is when the other two became peeved.

The Burgundy one
    [​IMG]

The white one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think all the brown is dirt and mud (close to 2 inches of rain Tuesday night here) but the specks or dots are part of the feathers

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance
    Crickett

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Red one is a roo.

I can't tell about the one that kinda looks like a Dellie, but if I had to guess it would be that it's a female.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

The "burgundy" one looks like a hatchery type RIR rooster to me. He's been the subject of some feather pickin, missin some of his tailfeathers but you can see the shiney/pointy saddle feathers in the pic.

4. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Quote:What is a Dellie? Are they big or batams?
    Thanks for looking.....I was afraid the red one was gonna be a darn roo.......story of my picking chickens....ugh

5. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Quote:Why do folks feel the need to sell a "hen" that is a darn rooster? I told this guy I'd buy just about all his hens... (he has about 50 or so birds he is downsizing to make room for bantams. He has pairs in cages, and then about 30 others in a pen he said were all hens but one)

This one is just plain HUGE (tall) I am almost on the verge of saying when it stands up straight, it's darn head would reach my waist. (am 5'8)...I think it's a young bird too.

I am trying to remember all he said he had....Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Islands, Turkens, Silkies, EE's (all but one were roos) New Hampshires, Delawares, Dominiques and Jersey Giants
    ..Some sort of "named after a person" game roo and hen. Some brown ones he said he was trying to "develop" that were mixes, some big cochin looking hens...It was over whelming....lol

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  6. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

We are going to have to get you a roo detector that you can take when you go chicken shopping. [​IMG]

The burgandy one has pointy, saddle feathers growing on either side of his tail. You are right he isn't very old yet which is why his tail isn't too long and his comb/waddles aren't too big yet. I'm guessing he's between 12-15 weeks old. I've seen some Rhode Island Reds at the fair that were huge, so perhaps he's from one of the "big" lines.

"Dellie" is short for Delaware. They are quite big, fairly good egg layers. Although my Delaware has yellow legs and that second bird has pinkish legs so it may not be pure. Love the face-on photo.

7. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I SO need one....seems they see me comming and say quick...sell her a roo! She will just come back and buy more [​IMG]

8. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    Oh my my....Crickett is "chicken shopping" AGAIN!!!!! [​IMG] How many did you bring home today?

Your signature line really suits you!

9. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Quote:Only 4 today.......
    Seems I have been hoodwinked with another roo....lol
    But Romeo got another hen....the white one.
    I am suppose to go back Friday, and pick up more hens...but have not decided if I will take that roo back or not..... you know what I said... I feel sorry for them all in those itty bitty cages....just can't stand it.

10. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    the red one is indeed a Black tailed red "rhode island red" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by