What is the biggest breed of chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gpamela3499, Mar 31, 2009.

1. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    We live in a "no chickens allowed area. We want a big pet that people will say that is not a chicken it is a pet mutant or something?

Are Jersey Giants the biggest ?

Are standard cochins big?

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I don't know about cochins but our Jersey roo was 12.5 pounds at 8 months old before we rehomed him. He was very LOUD and I don't think your neighbors would be pleased. How about try the smallest chicken, a Serama or maybe a silkie or showgirl?

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes silkie hens are very quiet.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I know Jersey Giants are really big but brahmas are not that far off. My light brahma pullet weighed over 9 lbs at 8 months old. Giant Cochins are another breed that can be large.

Typically hens weigh

Jersey Giant 10 lbs
    Brahmas 9 lbs
    Orpingtons 8 lbs
    Cochins 7 - 8 lbs

Of course it varies with each individual.

My brahma was really quiet but she also growled like the dog (she picked it up from him). My cochins are mixed...one is super quiet and one is really loud. My orpingtons are fairly quiet.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  5. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    heres my giant cochin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. gpamela3499

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Yeah no roosters1 I was thinking pullets. The chihuahua's next door area very loud and mean. I don't think that the a hen could be that loud do you? Are they loud too?

My cats will eat the little ones. I have one Mille Fleur but I think it is a rooster so he might have to go. I have another one two that might be roos that will have to go if they are. One is supposed to be a red frizzle(its not), the other is a white sultan.

They are rather small and I like them but sometimes not the big chicken we would like. I am a little concerned now that the hens might be a little loud but I think I will take that chance. Given the neightborhood.

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Quote:Don't want to thread steal but that is a beautiful boy! Well so are your other boys! Sorry, carry on...

8. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:Don't want to thread steal but that is a beautiful boy! Well so are your other boys! Sorry, carry on...

lol! just showing off my PET. gotta get an idea of a monsterous chicken... so there he is!

9. gpamela3499

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Wow I love him! I would like a pullet. I love that guy!!!

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Do a search for "Nugget", he's from New Mexico... DINO ROO!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by