What is the biggest egg your hens have laid?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kabhyper1, Aug 13, 2014.

1. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

My Australorp laid this monster yesterday. The scale isn't super accurate, but the needle is leaning a bit past the 5 oz mark. Poor girl lol! The other eggs are average daily large eggs and the blue one is an EE pullet egg.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. groleau6

groleau6 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Alabama
    my gosh, that like one of my duck eggs! the poor girl....

3. bzender

bzender Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2013
    Deming, Wa
    Was that from a pulley that has just started laying recently? I had a couple pullets last year that layed a few big eggs like that. They were double yokers!!

4. kabhyper1

It is from my 2 and a half year old australorp. She always lays 3 or 4 oz eggs. 1. Every other day. This is the largest so far. They have never had a double yolk. Always just one large one. I'm going to blow this one out after I measure and weigh it better, so I'll know how many yolks it has.

5. bzender

bzender Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2013
    Deming, Wa
    Thats awesome! That shell is definately something to keep. Why didnt I think of that... I hope my year and a half old australorp lays like that in the future. I havent weighed any of my eggs but i think hers are a little on the medium side right now but usually at least 6 days a week.

6. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Wow! That's giant! I hope my pullets lay big eggs like that! I have a Australorp too!
    Can't wait until my pullets start laying.......it'll be awhile yet because they are only 15 weeks old. But my sex links should start laying sooner.

7. kabhyper1

Apparently the record chicken egg is 5.6 oz. I really need to get a digital scale. This one is past the 5 oz mark, but the needle is huge on my scale, so I'm not sure exactly what it weighs.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Good heavens, that is a huge egg! The biggest one I ever got was a fraction over 3.5oz and that was impressive. I'd love to know exactly how much this one weighed.

9. kabhyper1

I will try to get an accurate weight today. Maybe our livestock digital scale would weight it lol.

10. kabhyper1

Well I weighed it on a digital. It is 4.5 oz. Not a record breaker lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by