What is the breed/ gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ftfarmer22, Mar 20, 2016.

1. ftfarmer22

ftfarmer22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ftfarmer22

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    I am really curious on what breed my 7 week old chicken is. I'm thinking either brown leghorn or welsummer, but I'm not sure. Also, I am having SO much troubled sexing this chick. I see pretty decent sized combs but they are super pale, and for that reason I think it's a girl, but want to make sure. He/she is so sweet and is one of my favorite chicks. I'm wondering if the pretty big combs are a gene that this breed has? Here are head and body pics of the chick.

3. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    She looks like she could be a speckled sussex. Looks like a hen to me at this point.

4. ftfarmer22

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Thank you so so so much!! I'm so happy to here this!![​IMG]

5. svitlaangel

svitlaangel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2016
    Definitely looks like a hen to me too. She looks very similar to our barnevelders though. (Don't count me on it though xD)

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Hard to see well in the dark photos, but I think it a Speckled Sussex....and agree looks to be female.

Not a Barnevelder...hens would have gold flecking in their chests right now and gold flecking/lacing on black on their body....no white spots.

Not a Wellie either...that would have salmon chest, no white spots, with partridge back, and yellow legs (I am seeing beige).

So I think she is likely a Speckled Sussex (better photo in good lighting of full profile would be certain).

LofMc

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  7. ftfarmer22

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Yes definitely agree with you all. I looked up speckled sussex at 7 weeks and I can certainly tell that's what she is, which is SO exiting for me because I think speckled sussex are beautiful chickens. Thank you all so much for your help I really appreciate it!!! I am so happy she is a girl!![​IMG] I will be sure to post pictures of her in a few weeks to show you how much she's grown. Thanks again everyone!

-ftfarmer22

8. ftfarmer22

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Hello everyone!! Update on speckled Sussex pullet. she is now almost 12 weeks old. Here is a picture, she has grown a lot more speckles over the past 4 weeks.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    A pretty girl

10. ftfarmer22

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Thank you! Speckled Sussex are truly a gorgeous breed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by