What is the breed of these chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by surgerynut, May 17, 2011.

1. surgerynut

surgerynut Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Leavenworth, KS
    I have a couple of chickens of which I'm unsure of the breed. I think the grey was is Aracauna but I don't have a clue what the other is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    The first one looks like mine, and I was told it's a mix between a Delaware and a Columbian Rock.

The grey one is an Easter Egger.

3. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2 The Easter Egger is beautiful!! [​IMG]

4. surgerynut

Apr 20, 2011
    Leavenworth, KS
    Not only is she beautiful, (I think it's a she [​IMG]), she's also as sweet as she can be!

5. surgerynut

Apr 20, 2011
    Leavenworth, KS
    Quote:Easter Egger is a generic term for several different breeds which lay blue eggs isn't it? Do you think this is one particular Easter Egger Breed?

6. surgerynut

Apr 20, 2011
    Leavenworth, KS
    Quote:So is that DC Rock? [​IMG]

7. The Turken Lady

Quote:Easter Egger is a generic term for several different breeds which lay blue eggs isn't it? Do you think this is one particular Easter Egger Breed?

An Easter Egger is a chicken,A lot of the time that is mixed with an ameraucana or araucana that lays colored eggs. (In Olive,Blue,Pink,ect.) Yours is definitely a hatchery "ameraucana" or one from a feed store,or just somewhere that breeds easter eggers. While real ameraucanas and auracaunas lay actually colored eggs,there are some main differences I can get in to,but it would take forever. Coloring and puffs are most reasons. If they do not have tufts/puffs,then they're a EE. If they do,but aren't the right color they're an EE too.

Ameraucana-

[​IMG]

Araucana-

[​IMG]

Easter Eggers-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  8. surgerynut

Apr 20, 2011
    Leavenworth, KS
    Thank you so much for the information. And your chickens are beautiful!!!

9. The Turken Lady

Quote:Thanks!! I love your profile pic by the way!! SO cute. I hope you figure out what the other one is! He kinda looks like an easter egger without puffs,but he's probably a rock mix. Looks like your easter egger will lay dark olive eggs/green! Now you won't have to dye easter eggs. Lol [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by