What is the breed of this hen and how can I tell the sex of her chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Owl_Love_You, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Owl_Love_You

Owl_Love_You New Egg

Jun 3, 2010
    We "rescued" (well, for two dollars we did, lol) this hen about a year ago (she was 2 then) from terrible conditions. There were about 300 chickens for sale that were crammed in a muddy pen and she was the only one that looked like this. The guy that was selling them said he purchased all egg laying breeds in a bulk sale. She was the hardest to catch and my daughter named her "Roadrunner". She kept disappearing over the last few weeks and we thought she was leaving the farm at night to roost with the neighbors chickens but she showed up yesterday with 13 chicks in tow! [​IMG] My chickens have free range over our farm and go into the coop at night. I suppose she got tired of us taking her eggs (she lays a peachy/pinkish/very light tan colored egg) and found a good hiding spot, lol. Now that the babies are hatched she is back in the coop like she never left. I have no idea what breed she is or how to sex the babies. Some of the chicks have a yellow patch on top of their heads and some have an all black head. Is that a feature that shows sex? The father of the chicks is a Cuckoo Maran. Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    I have absolutely no idea, but I love her looks! Very pretty.

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think it's a pure breed, but a BR crossed with something else.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Oohh.. stink eye! She is gorgeous & love the photos with her and her babies! What a great mom! I don't know anything else though. Sorry. [​IMG]

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    She looks to have some BR in her crossed with ?? As for sexing her chicks...the last time I bought chicks all the girls had much bigger wing feathers than my one roo. I bought them at 3 days old, and the girls had longer wing feathers and they showed up sooner than the roo. They were SLW's and I don't know if that is applicable to all chicks or what, but it is a starting point. Very cute pics of mom and her brood!

6. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    I'm wondering from the way she holds her tail if she might have some game hen in her? Maybe a barred rock and game cross? I do think you're right on the money with the spots on the chick's heads indicating sex link. Maybe the spots are the boys? I know there are some people out there who have a great knowledge of the barred genes that could say for sure.

7. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    if this helps any, just ordered 3 barred rock females from Meyers and all 3 have spots on their heads.

Quote:

8. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    I could be mistaken, but can't Cuckoo Marans' be sexed by the spot on their heads? I'm thinking it's spot=male.

Again, I'm entirely unsure, and probably wrong [​IMG]

9. chickensgalore

chickensgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    hillsdale,michigan
    i think BR pullets have the spot.but from looking at the ratio,i would say the roos have the spot.or u got lucky and have quite a few pullets [​IMG]

10. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    it looks to me like a br cross for sure, and with those i believe (but dont quote me) that you can have a pretty darn good sexing rate with the way the spot on there head look. since this os obviously some kind of cross i dont know if that would work here. there is a guy on here all the time i believe his name is chris, hes pretty good about everything chickens. hopefully he will see this post. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by