What is the broodiness of dark Cornish ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JLfarm, Jan 14, 2014.

1. JLfarm

JLfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Rayne lousiana
    I was thinking of getting a couple of these birds but I wanted to know how broody they are. All answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I personally have no experience with dark Cornish, but have seen threads on here with pictures of them setting and raising chicks.

3. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I had a couple of dark Cornish from Murray McMurray and two of them were consistently broody and were good mamas. It's not a trait you usually see if hatchery birds. They laid a couple of times a week on average.

4. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    I know this is an older thread, but thought I would put my two cents in.

We purchased 13 Dark Cornish chicks, all pullets, from Murray McMurray, they're now about 8 months old.

One girls is seriously broody, sitting on eggs as we speak (19 days in) and there's another one working her way to being broody. Sleeping in a nesting box, fluffing and screeching when you take eggs.

Not sure how they are as mama birds yet, but we'll see hopefully in a few days. [​IMG]

5. JLfarm

Aug 29, 2013
    Rayne lousiana
    I've had some and they make great mommas :)

6. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    I agree! Nessie hatched two chicks and she is absolutely awesome with them! She's very protective and already teaching them how to forage. They're only three days old and she will take them out in the afternoon for a while to show them how to be chickens. Very cool to watch.

She's our first broody and I am awed by her! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. JLfarm

Aug 29, 2013
    Rayne lousiana
    She is a pretty momma! what breed r the chicks ?

8. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    The roo is a Cuckoo Marans, I'm thinking the hen that laid the eggs was one of our Silver Laced Wyandottes because the chicks have yellow legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by