What is the chance of survival if a Pet chicken escapes into wild

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kipper002, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Kipper002

Kipper002 New Egg

Sep 15, 2011
    Hi,
    My pet chicken got out and is now in the wild with wild chickens. What is the survival rate. I've been looking for her. When I call she seems to answer, but won't come? what does this mean?

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Get a fish net with a long handle.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A great deal depends upon where this 'wild' is located - food sources, temperatures, predators, breed of chicken - too many factors to give a definitive answer without more information.

4. Kipper002

Kipper002 New Egg

Sep 15, 2011
    She got away and ran into a mountain after a huge rooster chicken that looks like black copper maran came after her. The area has a stream is thick tropical plants. It is currently cold, but no snow. I'm not sure if I should let her go or keep trying to go and get her. Can wild chickens attack her?

5. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    If you love her I think you need to try to get her. We trained ours to come running by shaking a can of scratch. It's odd that she doesn't come back to her coop to roost in the evening.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Is she your only chicken? Chickens are flock animals and she's probably lonely for other birds. The wild chickens woulf most likely accept her eventually, after establishing their pecking order. If you don't have other chickens, you might want to get one or two more to keep her company, and build a run to keep them from trying to join the wild flock again.

7. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Beside losing her, I personally wouldn't worry for her safety. If she went with the roo he'll watch out for her and if she isn't getting sufficient food she knows where to go.

8. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    although anything is possible and she may survive to live a long life, to be honest, a predator will get her before long. Either owls, coons, possums or weasels when she is roosting or the countless daytime predators, a chicken has got little chances of survival in the wild without protection.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Sad but that happens when we peoplize chickens. They want to be with their own kind just the same as we do. Something called that chicken. I had two Ring Necked Parakeets and got out of their cage I had on the front porch on a summer day some years ago. I tried all I could to get them back but the call of the wild seemed to have the best of them. Then I saw a local hawk slowly soaring just over the tree tops. They didn't seem like much to eat but I'm sure he did.

That taught me about having pet birds.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by