1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is the chance that it will become bumblefoot? if she has a cut?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GoldenSparrow, Oct 30, 2011.

1. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    if your chicken has a cut on the bottom of her foot.
    what is the chance that it will become bumblefoot?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Probably none. But it's easy for her to get a staph infection. Wash the cut out with soap and water, rinse, pat dry, and schmear some ointment on it. Put a gauze on it, and try to wrap the entire foot with gauze. Repeat daily until the cut scabs over. I know it's hard to keep clean with the wrapping, but it does stay clean long enough, the dirt may reach the ointment, but the ointment keeps the dirt from reaching the cut.

3. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    see the problem is, this hen had bumblefoot. it finally healed.
    I have been wraping her foot ever day. but the cut is on her web. it was caused from the wraping.
    I dont know what to do the I am not wraping it that tight, but if I do wrap it lose the hen pulls it off.

What should do? I CAN NOT have her get bumblefoot again!!!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Ensure you put the gauze (ointment on it) onto the cut web. Wrap the foot with duct tape as you would with regular wrapping. I guarantee you that your hen wont pull off duct tape. As with regular wrapping, not too tight.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Ensure you put the gauze (ointment on it) onto the cut web. Wrap the foot with duct tape as you would with regular wrapping. I guarantee you that your hen wont pull off duct tape. As with regular wrapping, not too tight.

[​IMG] Ah the many uses of duct tape!

6. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Does the duct tape stick to the chicken?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If you wrap it like you would vet wrap, a sharp pair of scissors will cut right through it. Then all you gotta do is pull it off. It comes off in one piece. I've done it many times. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  8. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Do oral antibiotics work instead of surgery?

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Antibiotics are normally recommended if the staph infection has spread, usually injectable penicillin. Think of it as a splinter in your finger. It's best to remove the splinter or it will get infected requiring antibiotics to prevent the infection from spreading. But the splinter is still there and must be removed with or without antibiotics. The sooner it's removed, the better.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There is another way to treat bumblefoot, IF you have the time, patience, and money....no surgery. Type "tricide neo" in the BYC search box and read up on it. I've used it and it works great for small bumblefoot. It disappeared in about a weeks time. Bigger bumblefoot infections take longer, sometimes months. It requires daily soaks in the water trineo mixture. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by