what is the chance that it will become bumblefoot? if she has a cut?

Probably none. But it's easy for her to get a staph infection. Wash the cut out with soap and water, rinse, pat dry, and schmear some ointment on it. Put a gauze on it, and try to wrap the entire foot with gauze. Repeat daily until the cut scabs over. I know it's hard to keep clean with the wrapping, but it does stay clean long enough, the dirt may reach the ointment, but the ointment keeps the dirt from reaching the cut.

see the problem is, this hen had bumblefoot. it finally healed.
I have been wraping her foot ever day. but the cut is on her web. it was caused from the wraping.
I dont know what to do the I am not wraping it that tight, but if I do wrap it lose the hen pulls it off.

What should do? I CAN NOT have her get bumblefoot again!!!

Quote:
Ensure you put the gauze (ointment on it) onto the cut web. Wrap the foot with duct tape as you would with regular wrapping. I guarantee you that your hen wont pull off duct tape. As with regular wrapping, not too tight.

Quote:
Ensure you put the gauze (ointment on it) onto the cut web. Wrap the foot with duct tape as you would with regular wrapping. I guarantee you that your hen wont pull off duct tape. As with regular wrapping, not too tight.

lau.gif
Ah the many uses of duct tape!

Quote:
If you wrap it like you would vet wrap, a sharp pair of scissors will cut right through it. Then all you gotta do is pull it off. It comes off in one piece. I've done it many times.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Antibiotics are normally recommended if the staph infection has spread, usually injectable penicillin. Think of it as a splinter in your finger. It's best to remove the splinter or it will get infected requiring antibiotics to prevent the infection from spreading. But the splinter is still there and must be removed with or without antibiotics. The sooner it's removed, the better.

There is another way to treat bumblefoot, IF you have the time, patience, and money....no surgery. Type "tricide neo" in the BYC search box and read up on it. I've used it and it works great for small bumblefoot. It disappeared in about a weeks time. Bigger bumblefoot infections take longer, sometimes months. It requires daily soaks in the water trineo mixture. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom