1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the Condition Here??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by catdaddy66, Jan 29, 2011.

1. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    This EE hen is Lightning! She has just had an eventful 24 hours or so as she escaped from my coop yesterday (look under managing your flock, "Help Needed!). We caught her this morning and I had an opportunity to take photos of her rump. This bare patch has been present about 3 months and is not worsening but not healing either. No ther hen of my flock has this and I do not own a roo, so it cannot be from breeding. What the heck is it?! How did it get there? How can I treat it myself?

I hope some wise BYC'ers are up to the task of being an armchair livestock vet/detective. Your input is much appreciated!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help would be awesome!! Thanks [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. spell

spell Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    when we 1st got our chicks their backsides looked like that....it was from a roo.
    he died but, it took forever for the feathers to grow back.

not really an answer...more of a bump.[​IMG]
    good luck

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would guess feather picking.

4. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Maybe they are feather picking? Or it could be from mites or lice, you could try treating them for mites and see if there is any improvement. Good luck! (glad you caught her!)

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Looks like she is being "feather picked" by at least one of your other hens. It can be caused by bossy chickens, boredom or food issues among other things. I actually had one hen that was feather picking herself as her new feathers were coming in ~ maybe they irritated her.

You could try to see if you can find the guilty party and separate them. You can also try to give them more thing to peck at like cabbages, flock blocks or other foods. Black Oil Sunflower Seeds are also good to help with feather growth.

A little Blu-kote on the area might also help.

I am really happy that you found her safe after her night on the run!

6. catdaddy66

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I thought it might be feather picking as well. Does the lack of this on the others indicate lightning may be low on the pecking order? Should I separate her from the flock to allow for healing? Where can I buy Blu Kote?

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

She might be low on the pecking order. If she is not bleeding I would try the Blu-kote and leave her with the rest of the flock ~ it may be harder to reintroduce her if you separate her for a period of time. Feathers may take months to regrow.

Blu-kote(or a similar product) can be purchased at farm stores like Tractor Supply. You can get it as a spray or dab on. Wear old clothing and rubber gloves and know that you will get it on you and it does stain anything it touches a lovely purple color!

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Agree, leave her with the rest, at least as long as there is no blood. BluKote is a good idea, and/or you could put a saddle on her, which you can make yourself for free.

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/1/1-6/Joyce_Dixon.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407575

What I would also do is to identify the head bully, the one who is doing the feather picking. Usually there is one who is the leader if more than one are doing it. That is the one to separate, and keep by herself for about a week. Then put her back. She will then be at the bottom of the pecking order.

One other thought. Feathers are high in protein and they might be feeling the need. I think this happens sometimes because people are being TOO nice, giving treats to the point that they are actually in need of more protein. Giving more than a very little scratch or cracked corn can cause the protein to be too low, too.

9. catdaddy66

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Thanks for the info! DDawn, your right. I usually give high protein BOSS but have been giving more scratch for warmth this winter (a trick I read here at BYC). Also have used layer ration at 18% protein instead of the starter feed of 20-22% protein I usually give the girls. As far as the lead picker, I have not the foggiest idea of who that may be. I will try to be more observant in order to identify the offender. Then...BAM! Into the isolation coop for her! Chicken time-out.

10. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    One other possibility is a clogged oil gland, because it looks like the spot starts at the gland and goes up from there. If the gland clogs, the chicken with feather pick herself trying to relieve the itching/pressure. I would go on the assumption it is feather picking as others have suggested, but if she were mine she would also get a warm bath with plenty of attention to the gland area. Just make sure to THOROUGHLY rinse and THOROUGHLY dry her afterward, then blue kote before putting her back with the others. That will also give you a chance to see if you have a "bully," because the guilty party probably won't be able to resist making a move when you put her "target" back in the pen. You can find some good information about bathing a chicken here: http://demeterdesign.net/Bathing and Grooming your Chicken.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by