What is the correct temp for chicks by there age?

agirly4chicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Hamilton, Georgia USA
I am asking this because we had a 100w light buld in the brooder and Monday night and Tuesday morning they were all sleeping on the other side. So before I left for work Tuesday morning I changed the bulb to a 75w. When I got home last night (Tuesday) all but 2 were completely away from the light. Also this morning they were all on the other side away from the light except 2 (not sure if same 2). Should I change the buld to a 60w?

I don't have a thermostat and I will not be able to make it to the feed store before they close. Could I get one that is for determing the outside weather temp from Wal-Mart?

Just one more question, please. Does anyone have a chart that states at this age they should be at this temp?

I have 10 chicks that were a week old Sunday so they are now 1 week and 3 days old.

Week 1 - 95 degrees.

Week 2 - 90 degrees

Week 3 - 85 degrees

Week 4 - 80 degrees

Week 5 - 75 degrees

Week 6 - 70 degrees.

You can stop when theis gets down to ambient temperature. For example, if the room temperature is 80 degrees, you stop right there. By week 6, they should be fully feathered out and OK, but make sure they have a place to get out of drafts.

After work I got a thermo thing and just checked and it said the temp was 90. But all the chicks were on the side away from the light. Even though it should be 90 if they are giving me signs can I lower it to a different watt buld?

If they are staying away from the heat source, you can certainly try. Monitor them and see if they start acting cold. The recommended temperatures are guidelines. Each case could be a a little different. It is better for them to be a little warm than for them to chill but too warm is not good either.

The food and water needs to be in their comfort zone. If they are giving you signs they don't like to be in certain parts of your brooder, the food and water need to be where they like to be.

They've done all right so far as you have not mentioned any casualties. You're pretty close to the right temperature for them.

This morning they were walking all around and talking so I am not sure where they slept. The thermostat said 90 this morning.

Thank you for all the advise and help. It has really been a weight off my shoulders.

I haven't had any pass away but I do have one that has a swallon eye that I don't think I have ever seen it open. I talk to the vet last night and she said to just do warm water compresses until I am able to get to the vet. So I might take her tomorrow or Saturday. I really wish I could go but someone has to work.

Quote:
I would certainly try the warm water compress first. We had the same problem with one last year and it opened it's eye right away!
celebrate.gif
No vet visit was necessary
ya.gif

Quote:
I would certainly try the warm water compress first. We had the same problem with one last year and it opened it's eye right away!
celebrate.gif
No vet visit was necessary
ya.gif

Do you hold it on there or drop warm water on her eye. I hate to hear her getting mad at me. But I am scared if someone else does it they will hold her to tight. She is the smallest of them all and barley has any feathers, the other has even tail feathers now.

23076_dscn1307.jpg

If the chicks are huddling turn up the heat, if they are spreading out lower the heat, always always always have a portion of their pen shaded so they can get out of the heat, they will die of heat much faster than they will die of cold.

Back
Top Bottom