What is the craziest thing that has happened to your chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tono1998, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Tono1998

Tono1998 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2012
    We had got some pullets from some breeders. Our new dog really wanted the chickens. We finally let our dog see the chickens with my mom holding the leash. He got a bite out of our buff. She had a hole in her neck. Yet months later she is still alive and doing fine

2. The chickens had a journey to the back of a apartment building 3 houses away from where I live and they met a jack russel and the chicken fought with it (eye witnesses) 3people called the SPCA and the my dad found the trio having a dirt bath and Garden in the back of the apartment

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

A mongoose literally scalped one of my young pullets once. She recovered completely apart from a little bald spot on the back of her head. Chickens have an amazing ability to heal!

4. rebeccamariemiller

rebeccamariemiller Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2008
    My brother's dog got into his hens and killed all but 2 of them. One that survived had all feathers and skin missing from her back. She fought the dog and thats why she lived. She also fought me when I tried to catch her and take her home. She lived for years at my place even after she lost the toes on one foot and the whole foot on the other leg. She even still got up on the roost. :p

5. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Wow. Is she still alive?

6. krackowpolish

krackowpolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    fallbrook
    my polish hen krackow got merics disease, and she got egg bound. but is still living and is playing outside with her baby rooster right now!

7. rebeccamariemiller

rebeccamariemiller Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2008
    Sadly, I don't know. I had to sell her because I didn't have a winter coop at the time.

8. Tono1998

Tono1998 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2012
    That's awesome. Did the SPCA do anything? I would have been like yea i'm just taking my chickens on a walk, if the SPCA did anyhting.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by