What is the daily treat routine for your indoor/outdoor chicken(s)?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by alexandherpets, Mar 10, 2012.

1. alexandherpets

alexandherpets Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I was trying to come up with some ideas, because i have a month old chick now and im deciding on what sort of things are a good daily treat. I know there is a certain amount or certain food groups that should be included. So here is my post to ask all of you what (and how much of it) daily treats you feed to your pet chicken or chickens. (My silkie lives indoors with me). Thanks to all for your responses and help!
    -Alex and Penny [​IMG]

2. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Maybe someone with more experience will also chime in, but when my girls were only a month old, I gave them very few treats. I think my first treat to them was some chopped up, leftover fried chicken and they loved it!! I also tried a few various raw & cooked veggies. I mostly stayed with various proteins & fruits/veggies, and left the carbs (rice, bread, pasta) until they were much older.

Now, at 1 1/2 years old, I give them all leftovers, but still try not to overdue the carbs. But it seems, just like their owner, they love bread, pasta & rice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by