1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the deal with DH'd dog?????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Crazy4Chicks, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    DH has a boxer named Daisy who is about 2 years old - she is the "head dog " around here, and up till about a year ago got along fine with the other females in the house.
    She had her first litter shortly after my beagle mix had hers - and ever since Daisy has not gotten along with the beagle mix - Daisy will attack her like she is trying to kill her - so we had to build Daisy her own yard and keep the two apart, every once in awhile they will get along for a few days than all of a sudden Daisy will attack her again - so we have stopped them from playing in the same yard together. But Daisy would still want to play and have that ability to be with other dogs so once a day I will put Dixie ( the mix ) in the house and let Daisy play with the other dogs - this works out fine up until the past few days...
    Abbey the other boxer had her first litter in Dec. and Daisy attacked Abbey while preg. so for the rest of her preg. we keep them apart. Well Abbey's baby is in his new home and things with Daisy and Abbey went back to normal until earlier this week when all of a sudden Daisy attacked Abbey for no reason that we could tell - Daisy split Abbey's lip gave her a bloody paw so we have been keeping them apart again, this morning I let Daisy out first to go potty while Abbey was still in her crate I brought Daisy back in put her in the livingroom and closed the baby gate - I let everyone else out, and back in as soon as Abbey was in Daisy jumped the gate and went after Abbey.
    Daisy is now in her own yard - apart from everyone else. Her yard is connected to the other dog yard so all the dogs can still see each other and smell each other and so on, so it's not like Daisy is totally cut off from them and when they are in the house the only thing keeping them apart is a baby gate so they still can see each other in the house as well.
    I dont know what in the world to do with Daisy I cant have her attacking the other dogs, but DH does not want to get rid of her either ( thats never a solution ) she is a good dog for the most part very loving to us, great watch dog etc.. but now she is not getting along with two of the females in the house.
    None of the dogs are in heat no-body is preg. so we know it is not any of that.
    Any ideas to what we can do with her?? it is a pain trying to keep everyone apart but if that is what we have to do than we will to keep everyone safe.

Julie

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Is Daisy spayed?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Spaying the females sounds like the best solution. All my critters are spayed or neutered, with the exception of Jake. We're waiting for the next spay/neuter clinic and hoping it'll take a little of the wind outta his sails.

4. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    We have a lot of past experience with having many dogs and raising puppies. First of all in our "pack", the oldest female was ALPHA. In nature, the females must compete to remain ALPHA(and they will). They will also compete in a survival mode for food for themselves, food for their pups, space and the favor of their owners - even though well fed and cared for pets do not need to compete - it is a natural instinct to do so. If you are having these issues, you will need to keep the dogs separate. It may pass after the ladies are fixed but the chances are that they will always need to be monitered. When you have play time with these dogs, you will need to do it separately and NEVER get down and inbetween them if they are out running around together for any reason... or you'll find yourself in the middle of a dog fight. good luck with your dogs. understanding canine instintual behaviour is key in dealing with this problem. Lynn

5. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    I agree with everyone else, spay all the females. Didn't Abbey have a litter recently? I suspect they are all trying to re-establish Alpha dominance and hormones are raging, regardless of being in heat. I recommend you follow Lynn's advice. Your pack order and peace may never return until spaying occurs on all of them.

6. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    Well Daisy is getting spayed sometime this summer - we are waiting for a spay clinic ( money is a little tight ) Dixie ( the mix ) is spayed and has been spayed for a little over a year.
    Yes Abbey is the one ho had a litter in Dec. - I would like to see her have one more litter next year, and than she will be getting spayed.
    The dogs dont have to fight for space,food,treats,toys,or momma/daddy love all the dogs are very much spoiled and loved.
    Daisy will remain in her own yard and apart from the other girls but I will let her out to play with the male boxer ( I will just put Abbey and Dixie either in Daisy's yard or in the house ) we love the dogs and will do whatever to keep everyone safe.

thanks for the advice, we will get Daisy spayed as soon as we can

Julie

7. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I bet it's related to the litter of puppies somehow, whether it's because Abbey got more attention while she was pregnant and after she'd had them, or Daisy resented her having them to begin with because she is Alpha.

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I always seem to be the opposing voice, a character flaw, I suppose.

BUT, behavioral problems are seldom fixed by spay/nueter once they are already in place. And what you are dealing with is certainly a behavioral issue.

Seems to me Daisy is jealous of the other dogs' puppies since it seems to be happening after littlers of pups. I would bet it has more to do with the time you spend with the dogs when they have puppies, than the puppies themselves.

Our dogs are extremely jealous of each other, though they don't try to hurt each other. I think you are very lucky the other dogs are giving in instead of fighting back, you could have a terrible fight on your hands if your younger boxer decides to defend herself.

Keep them seperated, and I would advise taking Daisy to an obedience class. It's possible having her spayed would help if it's a random hormonal issue from cystic ovaries or some other oddity, but if it's jealousy, it won't help you a lick.

9. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    I personally would spay them all and I bet your problems will sort themselves out. From past memory of Abbey whelping, though I know you love her, I don't think she is really cut out for it. I remember she got excellent care so I would be fearful of a genetic flaw that would repeat. Now with these issues going on, I would question some hormonal instability.
    JMHO

10. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I have had boxers for years. For some reason, female boxers just don't particularly like other female dogs. I have learned over the years, anytime I bring a new dog home, it had better be male. Didn't matter whether they were spayed or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by